Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bountiful Burritos

My friend Audrey recently showed me how she makes big batches of breakfast burritos and freezes them for her husband. I was very inspired. They are inexpensive, super convenient, nourishing and taste fabulous! I’ve already made one batch of breakfast burritos and one batch of regular burritos and my husband could not be more thrilled. Here’s what I do:
Breakfast burritos (made 17 at a cost of ~ $.50 each)
-Cook a lb of turkey breakfast sausage. While that cooks, beat a dozen eggs.
-Set aside the sausage. Scramble the eggs.
-Combine the sausage, eggs and some cheese (I used ~2 cups of pepperjack). I also added a cup or so of spinach ripped into small pieces.
-Spoon the mixture into tortillas, fold them up and roll them each in a paper napkin or aluminum foil. Store in large ziplock bags in the freezer.

Regular burritos (made 16 at a cost of ~$.50 each)

-Cook a lb of ground turkey.
-Add a can of refried beans, a cup of water, half a pouch of burrito seasoning, and some cheese (I used ~2 cups of cheddar). I also added a cup or so of spinach ripped into small pieces. And you could definitely season them yourself…I just happened to have half a pouch I needed to use.
-Spoon the mixture into tortillas, fold them up and roll them each in a paper napkin or aluminum foil. Store in large ziplock bags in the freezer.

Viola! Super quick meal or snack. And they’re so much better (in every way) than store-bought frozen burritos. And you can make them a million different ways if you like variety. I’ll definitely be making these regularly!