Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple Season

Last week, I got my first experience with canning. My friend Melody invited me over to help her can some apple pie filling. It basically involved making the delicious sauce, preparing the apples (made much easier with her handy peeler/corer/slicer tool) and canning them. Her parents have apple trees so that made the filling very inexpensive. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I expected and I am excited someday to do canning myself.

On Friday, I got some fuji, gala, and braeburn apples for $0.50/lb from Tacoma Boys. I used them to make homemade applesauce for the first time. It was fun and easy! Just peel, core and slice the apples. Put them in a pot and cover them with water and a lid, then boil them for about 10 minutes until they’re soft. Puree them in the blender, adding the juice from boiling them as needed. I ate some warm with cinnamon. Mmmmm.
Now I really want some apple trees! I want to can an abundance of apple pie filling, apple sauce and apple butter. My own apple trees would make that much more economical.