Friday, November 4, 2011

A Muffiny Day

Lately I’ve been wanting to make a bunch of healthy muffins for the freezer to use as quick breakfasts or snacks. Yesterday I was finally able to! First, I made a batch of low fat blueberry bran muffins (recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/low-fat-blueberry-bran-muffins/detail.aspx). I used all whole wheat flour rather than using half white flour. They turned out great…lightly sweet and very hearty! I also made a batch of raisin bran muffins (using a recipe my mom used when I was a kid). I substituted applesauce for the oil the recipe called for and used all whole wheat flour. I even over-cooked them slightly and they still taste fabulous! I wanted to make some banana nut muffins but I didn’t have any walnuts which the recipe called for. So I made up a recipe for whole wheat banana almond muffins! Yes, I made it up! Huge success, here is my recipe:

Whole Wheat Banana Almond Muffins
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin pan.

Mix the applesauce, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Mash the bananas with a fork; add to applesauce mixture.

In blender, grind whole plain almonds until they form a fine powder; pour into a separate bowl. Add the whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix. Add to the banana mixture. Mix.

Pour into muffin pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until done.


I like to use the muffin pan that makes 6 bigger muffins rather than 12 small ones. That way one muffin is enough for breakfast. After they were completely cool, I spread them out on plates and put them in the freezer for an hour or two to get hard. Then I put them in freezer bags and tossed them back into the freezer…that way they shouldn’t stick together. Happy muffin making!